Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sew it goes...

It has been a while since my last post - couldn't be anything to do with exams, Christmas, New Years, and Holidays...
It has been an enjoyable break, and I did even get around to a little crafting!

Most recently I decided on a Monday (Feb 10th) that I needed a new dress to wear to the Season Launch of the local theatre where my Partner is the manager, this event was on the Thursday night (Feb 13th)... 4 days to have the dress finished, around my full time job. Nothing like a bit of pressure motivation!

I had some beautiful satin a scored on clearance from Fabric.com and I found a beautiful free pattern which I downloaded and printed - The Coffee Date Dress, courtesy of the Selfish Seamstress http://selfishseamstress.wordpress.com/
A phone call to my mother to get a zipper express posted the 1800km from the closest spotlight store and I was off!
My two choices of satin,
I'm so glad I chose the blue!
Pattern laid out and ready to cut the fabric
Bodice - marked out ruffle stitch lines 
All pinned together!

Zipper all pinned in

Front - pinned and waiting on the zipper and back seam

Obligatory Bathroom "Selfie"




My Man and I

Even made the local paper!




















































It was stressful! There was lots of unpicking! I finished the dress in time to shower and curl my hair and only be 10 minutes late for the start of the event!
It paid off. I am SO happy with this dress! I know it is full of flaws, but at a glance, they are not noticeable. I received so many compliments on my dress, and people were floored that I had made it myself! Since then I've been told I should open a dress shop and make people dresses... hahaha funny. As if sewing for myself isn't tricky enough!
My sister couldn't believe from the photos that it wasn't store bought, which I took as a compliment (I showed her the actual dress and she believes me, there's a few dodgy bits)

The satin really dresses up this pattern, I love it! I can't wait to make it again in a more casual fabric, and perhaps with different embellishments from the gorgeous ruffle. A flower on a waist belt perhaps?



I've recently discovered Craftsy and Spoonflower, so all I need now is endless free time, fabric and sew-jo and I'll have the most wonderful wardrobe in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment